Moor Street


Share this image:

Moor Street was known as Kirk Leys Lane in the 1700s.  Bray Lane became Stoney Lane, and then Borrowash Road for some years, and then reverted to Stoney Lane.  This farmhouse, at the corner of Moor Street and Stoney Lane, was owned by the Locko Estate, until sold in 1920.  It has since had several owners.  In the 1850s and 1860s it was occupied by Mr Pegg and was for a time licensed as a pub, the Fox and Hounds.

The Village Pound, or Pinfold, was a piece of ground at the back of the white building where stray cattle were kept until their owners claimed them.  If they were not claimed within three days, and a charge paid, they were sent to the Lord of the Manor at Locko and sold to defray expenses.  In mid 1800s William Hall was "Pinder"; he lived in a cottage in the alley opposite Stoney Lane, later known as Hickling's Jitty.  An old couple named Hickling lived in the small cottage on the righthand side of the jitty at the turn of the 19th century.  He was the graedigger and they kept the key to the cemetery on Stoney Lane, for which 1/- deposit had to be paid.   After Mr Pegg left the farm, Mr Charles Coxon, brother of Peter, the Blacksmith, lied thee until it was sold in 1921.  The two brothers later bought Burrowood Farm, further up Dale Road (South side; the house and buildings are now demolished).